TaxCut Welcome Sequence
- Users were overwriting returns because they didn’t know how to start a new return.
- Users were creating multiple copies of a return and checking e-file status from a copy that wasn’t sent.
- Getting started took more steps than necessary.
- The process for new and returning users was the same.
- Importing a prior year return took more steps than necessary.
- Update availability information was not readily available before beginning a return.
- Single Welcome screen that isn’t tied to a return and lists out
available returns and other important information, such as update
- Shortened import process that displays available returns to import, since 60% of users import.
- Update functionality available outside of return preparation task.
Welcome & Update Prompt
- Online prototyping and a summative usability study confirmed an improved experience.
- Reduced contacts about issues with checking return status and overwritten returns.